Sunday, January 6, 2008

Puto Cheese

Puto Cheese


I played hooky one time in class and missed making Puto cheese, which was too bad since I really love these tiny white cakes. So once I got a copy of the recipe from a classmate I immediately set out to try it at home. I didn't have those tiny plastic mold though so I steamed mine in metal cupcakes mold and as I used very yellow margarine, it didn't turn out white either. Oh well, the taste was good and in the end that's what really matter.

Ingredients
1/2 c. butter or margarine
3/4 c. sugar
2 c. all purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk
4 pcs. eggwhites
1/2 of cubed cheese

Procedure
Cream butter then add half a cup of sugar gradually. Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the milk and set aside. Whip the eggwhites and remaining sugar until fluppy and fold into the first mixture. Spoon into the moulder, top with cheese and steam for 20 minutes or until done.

I added a pinch of cream of tartar to the eggwhites when I whipped them just because I find that it always gave them better stability. The first mixture will be very thick so fold in a little of the meringue first to thin it a little before folding in the rest. I was told that these baked beautifully too - which my classmates did with half of their batter - but I wouldn't know.


Puto Cheese

1 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Hi, I like your blog, I'm a baking moron so I think your blog can help me a lot :) I will add you in my links now :)